Featherston War Memorial
GPS 41.118 S 175.329 E
In 1925 the Anzac Club committee decided to build a memorial to the fallen of World War One, using funds left over from the club’s operation. The site chosen was a triangle on the junction of Fitzherbert and Fox streets. The concrete and stone structure was unveiled on Anzac Day, 1927 by Sir James Allen, the wartime Minister of Defence. Featherston Mayor John Card also officiated. (more…)
The memorial is contained under a cupola supported by 12 columns. The structure is clad in river stones, symbolic of the stone-picking duties carried out by recruits at Featherston and Tauherenikau camps. The major areas of conflict in the Great War are inscribed just below the cupola.
There are 48 names inscribed from World War One. Another 29 names from World War Two were added and unveiled in 1950.