Greytown Soldiers’ Memorial Park & Memorial Park Gates
GPS 41.076 S 175.459 E
When in 1919 Daniel O’Connor was about to sell a 20-acre block of native bush in Kuratawhiti Street to a sawmiller, local solicitor J.F. Thompson suggested Greytown Borough Council buy it as a war memorial. A deposit of £500 was raised within 24 hours and the balance, at £80/acre, was collected over the next year by local committees. (more…)
On Anzac Day 1923, memorial gates to the park, inscribed with 66 names, were unveiled by Greytown Mayor William Hutton. In attendance were Alexander McLeod, MP, Quentin Donald (Featherston County Council), John Card (Mayor of Featherston), Orlando Pragnell (Mayor of Masterton) and Brigadier-General Herbert Hart.
The park was developed as a sports ground and a World War Two memorial swimming pool was opened within the park in 1957.