Mauriceville War Memorial
GPS 40.775 S 175.701 E
One of several country district memorials in the Wairarapa, Mauriceville War Memorial was unveiled on 30 September 1928. The memorial was built of local limestone and installed at Mauriceville East School, with 20 names inscribed on marble plates.
James Young, Minister of Health, unveiled the memorial. MPs George Sykes (Masterton) and Alexander Harris (Waitemata), Colonel Jabez Cowles (a school inspector) and Ian Cameron, chairman of Mauriceville School Committee made up the official party, along with 350 spectators. (more…)