GPS 41.096 S 175.473 E
Soon after setting up Tauherenikau Camp, the army began using the rifle range at Papawai for shooting courses. Training for machine gunners also took place, in posts along the bank of the nearby Ruamahanga River with targets across the river. A small subsidiary camp was established, catering for up to 500 in tents. (more…)
Papawai Camp was used by the Mounted Rifles, groups of which would be in residence for about a week. Small groups of specialist troops (engineers etc.) also used the camp. Infantry marched from Tauherenikau, and later Featherston, for a day’s shooting at Papawai, a round trip of about 20 km.
By 1917 there were some permanent buildings – headquarters, dining hall, small hospital, post office and a YMCA. The accommodation remained under canvas.
After the war the camp disappeared quickly while the rifle range continued to be used by rifle clubs.